Thursday, August 2, 2012

Final Course Reflection


I really enjoyed taking this class this summer although it did seem a little overwhelming at times because of all the information we had to process in such a little amount of time. One of the best parts of this class was getting to get hands on experience with ALL the cameras that the TCF department has to offer. I learned that there is no such thing as a “ best camera.” It really all depends on what kind of project you are working on and what kinds of shots you are looking for. I think I have really gotten hooked on the DSLR cameras. They are so light and portable, but they have such great picture quality and the colors are amazing! I am definitely planning on buying one in the near future.
 I learned a lot about lighting a scene, but it is one of the hardest things to learn how to do affectively.  Getting in the studio and actually lighting a set and actors is the only way that you will become a proficient cinematographer. Using the AARI and Kino light kits helped me figure out what kit is best for lighting different kinds of scenes. You have to decide if you want hard or soft light before you can decide what lighting kit you should use. You can know all about the kits, but the only way you will know how to use them affectively, is to actually get hands on experience, and it still takes years of practice before you are able to do it well.
 I have discovered that I really like being behind the camera. I love the technical aspect of film making like deciding what mm lens would work best for a specific shot. I am still figuring out what my visual style is, but every time I work on a new project I figure out what works and what doesn’t work. I really think filmmaking is a lot of trial and error. Overall, I really liked this class and I appreciate Dr. Raimist kicking our ass because I think this class will make everyone who was in it a better filmmaker. I can’t wait to get to work on my next project so I can apply everything that I learned in this class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment